A forever home for little Honey


posted by Karra

2 comments

I was quite surprised when my mum told me she was looking at adopting a dog, she has always been a keen breeder of Bernese Mountain Dogs, so this was a little out of the blue.

She had spotted a charity known as Love Underdogs who rescued severely mistreated cats and dogs from Romania, many having been abused and left helplessly wandering the streets. A lot are left with serious behavioral problems and medical conditions. Love Underdogs saves these helpless animals and then brings them to the UK, they spend hours working with them, giving them the treatment they need to find a new home.

My mum had spotted Renata, a playful girl that still bared the scars of her past, her mutilated ears. On inquiring about adopting Renata they explained that unfortunately she was under intensive treatment for a condition and was not ready for re-homing. Sadly after a few weeks they decided it wouldn't be fair to re-home Renata with her condition as it would be a permanent on going expense they could not put on someone else.

 Gorgeous Renata (Photo from Love Underdogs)

My mum then said she would be happy to adopt another, as long as she got along with cats and dogs, so they offered my mum Honey, an incredible quiet and shy girl. My mum set up a spot in the corner next to the sofa with a cosy rug and water bowl so Honey could have a 'safe' place to hide and she quickly retreated to her new spot.

My mum told me that Honey was very very nervous, and she couldn't look anyone in the eye. She would back herself right into the corner and hide away. However slowly but surely she seemed to be getting more confident.

Honey hiding in her safe place (Photo by my mum)

I was eager to meet the new family member, so made a visit down to my mums. I slowly came and sat down next to Honey and gave her a warm stroke. She glanced up at me, then as we made eye contact she turned her head away. She was still very shy. I was eager to make friends though and each time I fussed her that small glance lasted a little longer.

Out on a walk she seemed like a different dog. She would charge off ahead, sniffing and smelling the ground, persistently scent marking wherever she went. When called she would look up briefly then carry on her business, she would only return toward you if you turned your back and started walking in the opposite direction. She definitely needed to build her confidence with people. My mum explained that she had already massively improved at this stage, and she couldn't wait for that moment she wagged her tail.

With the Bernese (Photo by my mum)

Just over a week later I visited my mum again, and as I was greeted with the barking of the Bernese another little bark joined in.... Honey! It was only a week ago but I couldn't believe the change in her! She was now emerging from her hiding spot to say a brief hello, and after she watched the Bernese scoff treat from our hand she also wandered over and took a sneaky snack! Her short glances were now much more elongated, and she would sit comfortably while she received a good stroke. She was definitely more confident with the other dogs around, and in their presence would come and sit in the middle of the room. There was a glint in her eye now!

On her walks she now trotted around with her tail in the air and would come running back when you called her name. This was no longer the shy dog that came to live with my mum. Then I saw that special moment, my mum walked into the room and Honey came rushing over to greet her....tail wagging madly!! Her life had been turned around and she was so happy. After a few days she was running over to greet me as well, wagging her tail. It brought a tear to my eye. What a horrendous past this little doggie must have had and now to greet me in this wonderful manner. Just incredible!

 Getting confident!

I would love to adopt a dog, and after looking at the Love Underdogs site have fallen in love with both Liana (who could resist those eyes and that heart on her side) and the stunning Jolie. Unfortunately my full time job means it just wouldn't be fair to have a dog as I would be out from 8-5, 5 days a week. I have all my fingers crossed that they both find a loving forever home like Honey has!





2 comments

  1. Anonymous

Leave a Reply