The struggle for life.....


posted by Karra

1 comment

Arriving for my normal Monday morning shift the hospital was full of life, baby birds eagerly chirping for their breakfast, hedgehogs sniffing at empty plates, mice exploring their cage and a HUUUGE terrapin!

The volunteers quickly got to work and I was thrilled that Mike suggested I get on with the mice. These were the same guys I hand fed a few weeks ago, so it was great to see them doing so well. Unfortunately one had been lost along the way, but the other two were fat and healthy. One was very easy to handle and would happily come to greet you as you went to clean them out, but the other was very timid, and perhaps a little crazy. It kept running in circles, darting around in an odd fashion, these guys were desperate for their freedom again. I approached Lucy about letting them go and was thrilled when she said I could do it myself. I would take them with me at the end of my shift.

As the day was in full swing a baby was suddenly rushed in, at this age it was difficult to identify, either a coot or moorhen chick, but it was in bad shape. Flopped on its side, its head kept rolling back, it was a miracle it was still alive. Mike quickly rushed to aid the poor little baby. He was desperate to bring to bring it back from the brink, first he started administring lectade, life's little miracle. Lectade is a re-hydration fluid that works wonders on a whole array of problems. Next he tried to get some food into the little chick, delicately opening the babies beak we gently encourage a mealworm into its mouth. But it wouldn't swallow. Mike began to panic. Now he was fearful it would choke to death, we gently pulled the mealworm back out of its throat. We decided a bit of peace and quiet would be best for now, then to try feeding again later. We placed the baby on a warm wheatbag in a nest with a second chick.


After an hour passed the chick was still with us so Mike decided to try and get some mealworm juice into the little guy. He spent the next 20 minutes squeezing tiny mealworms with tweezers, not an easy task! He was so determined to help this baby survive. With a tiny pipette Mike administered the mealworm juice and placed him back in the nest. It wasn't long before you could see it working. The chick was now chirping along with its other nestling, and could sit up properly. Mike had worked a miracle! It was so great to see that his hard work had really helped.


As the end of the shift was approaching I peered back in to see how the little chick was doing. I was thrilled to see it peering back at me, eyes wide and bright, and looking much healthier. I was definitely going home with a grin on my face. And to make things better I still had the mice to release! I gathered them up in their cage, quickly said my goodbyes and secured them in my car.

After driving a couple of miles up the road I noticed a beautiful woodland area. Perfect. No pet cats that would mistake them for a tasty snack. I sat their cage down and gently lifted off the lid. I tilted the cage to the floor but the little mice didnt want to leave! I pulled out their blankets to try and encourage them on their way. The more timid one was first to go, his movement was awkward and he seemed confused, but I crossed my fingers for him, brought in as an orphan he had never known freedom, so hopefully this would do him good.

The second mouse was more difficult to send on his way, as he ran straight back towards me. This much open space must seem so daunting now, but he had so much freedom waiting. I gently encouraged him into the wild, but he ran straight back towards his blanket, this was the only thing he had known as home. I quickly packed everything away, so he couldn't hide and he soon ran off into the woodland.



I was thrilled so see them go, and I really hope they live long, happy lives. To see these little creatures arrive at wildlife aid as orphans, with their eyes still closed, to now venturing back into the wild, its an incredible feeling that I am so glad I was able to be part of.



1 comment

  1. Anonymous

Leave a Reply