Keeper Work Experience: Day 3.


posted by Karra

1 comment

I eagerly rushed in this morning, I would finally get to see what it would be like as a big cat keeper! I was quickly put to work....window cleaning....

I peered into the enclosures as I started washing the outsides but not much was happening. The tigers had been taken indoors and the lions were lazing around at the top part of their enclosure. I moved round to the leopard enclosure and I could see one of the youngsters crouched low behind the rockery just out of view. I focused on my task at hand, trying to prevent streaks is not easy! Suddenly out of no-where the leopard pounced up at the glass. I jumped out of my skin! She had shown her amazing stalking skills and caught me out! It just goes to show how these stunning animals are such effective predators.

Persian Leopard. Photo by: Just Chaos

Next I was taken round to the back of the tiger enclosure. The tigers had been brought inside so we could access their main area. To see such an incredible animal up close is amazing. The tigers make a 'chuffing' noise, their vocal way of saying 'hello'. To hear a tiger chuffing click here. Adam was already in the main area cleaning out the pond, so I went round and picked up any poop and cleaned the insides of the windows. We then got to work cleaning the insides of the leopard enclosure, washing the floors and replacing the sawdust.

Now it was feeding time for the tigers. Each animal has a slab of meat with a specific weight. I went and hid one under a bush and the other was hung over a tree branch. Safely back out of the enclosure the tigers were let loose. They quickly found their meaty treats and began devouring them.

Sumatran Tiger. Photo by: Brimack

The afternoon was feeding and enrichment time for the rest of the animals. The leopards were first for their feed, when they were safely shut away the meat was placed around their enclosure while I did a quick poop check. They were then let loose. Kalaf, the male, went straight to the meat hidden in a tyre. He attempted to pick it up but it was jammed in so tight that the wheel lifted up with it. So instead he just sat there eating out of the tyre as though it was a plate! Adam suggested giving him a knife and fork to go with it........

Next up were the lions. With out bucket of meat in hand we went round to their enclosure. As soon as we got close Ashok, the male, charged straight towards us, letting out a huge hungry growl and leaping up at the side of the enclosure. We quickly got to work hiding their food. One under a pile of rocks the other under a wood pile. Kalinga quickly found hers under the log pile but Ashok searched around for 5 minutes before he picked up the scent. He discovered the rock pile and immediately plunged in, but the task was not easy, and took at least another 5 minutes trying to dig out his meat.

Asiatic Lion: Photo by: Brimack

Also on this section were a family group of Binturong (I have fallen in love with these guys) and I had the opportunity to hand feed them. Their peaceful nature means they will easily take food from your hand. We then tracked down some enrichment for these gorgeous animals. Today it would be 'sensory'. Adam searched through a box full of different scents and pulled out a sugary/vanillary perfume. It smelt so sweet it could have been good enough to eat. As soon as he had squirted a branch the Binturong immediately started sniffing the air, but they quickly retreated to the top most platform of their enclosure! They were obviously not as impressed as we had been!

I had a fantastic day on the carnivore section and loved every minute of it! It is so incredible to work alongside these animals. To be able to watch them act so relaxed and display such an amazing array of natural behaviours is just amazing.

Tomorrow I am on the primate section, a baby lemur was born today so should hopefully provide me with some great excitement!



1 comment

Leave a Reply