Keeper Work Experience: Day 5.


posted by Karra

1 comment

My last day of an amazing week, and I am very sad to go! Today I was on the bird section, and I had a brilliant day.

We headed up to Lorikeet lagoon for the morning feed. As soon as you get up close you can hear them singing happily. Charlie sent me in to fetch the empty food and water bowls. I peered inside and could see a dozen brightly coloured rainbow lorikeets, they were absolutely gorgeous. I started gathering their bowls and suddenly felt light feet on my shoulder, a lorikeet was chirping eagerly at me.

We then went into their outside enclosure and began placing down their food. They were so eager that they perched on my bucket and began eating it straight from there! But they were utterly adorable!

Rainbow Lorikeets. Photo by: Opals-on-black.com

Next up was the feeding and cleaning rounds back down in the main zoo. I assisted with the feeding of the penguins, white-naped cranes, great grey owls and the African ground hornbills. With the hornbills, Charlie suggested building a sandcastle and then burying their mealworms inside. Feeling like a kid back on the beach I built my little castle and it was great seeing the hornbill smash it back down searching for food.

The red legged seriema then needed their worming medication, so myself, Charlie and Mel, each armed with a net went into their enclosure. We quickly grabbed one of the babies, and administered the medication. I then had to cling onto the first baby, so the second could be caught, as we would be unable to tell them apart. The adults were also then caught and medicated.

Red Legged Seriema. Photo by: Paulo V. F. Barradas

A photogrophaer then appeared, interested in taking pictures of the moluccan cockatoo chicks. Charlie first enticed the adults outside as otherwise they would attack us if we got near their babies. She then reached inside, and pulled out a miniature cockatoo! After a few piccies she handed the little baby to me so she could get the second chick out. It snuggled into my fleece.....it was absolutely adorable!

Moluccan Cockatoo. Photo by: JunCTionS

As we were heading back to prepare the evening feed for the lorikeets we suddenly got a radio message, browse was available! Browse is animal friendly vegetation, usually from trees cut down on site, and it provides great enrichment for most animals. It was like a stampede! Everyone started running! They all wanted it for their animals. As we got to the site the gorilla keeper already had a huge truck full, and with a big grin on his face made a speedy getaway. But there was tonnes of it, and we filled our little van full to the brim and headed up to the lorikeets.

While I started unloading the browse Charlie went to sort out the blockage in the filtration system. In the process I managed to stab myself in the eye with a stray branch, but I quickly recovered and went to help Charlie with the filtration. Soaking wet and covered in mud, we eventually got it working!

I was sad to say goodbye, Chessington is an incredible zoo, and animal welfare is their priority. Their record of successfully breeding endangered species is incredible, and animals will only breed if they are happy. The enclosures are well kept with plenty of space, and the animals are provided with enrichment every day. They know which animals they are capable of keeping and will not risk keeping any animal that would not remain healthy in their zoo.

If I do ever become a keeper, it will definitely be at a zoo like Chessington.




1 comment

Leave a Reply